I have been hunting since I was little with my Dad up in Door Co. WI amongst a breed of dutch folk who immigrated there in the early 1900s. These people live off the land and see the progress of every morsel of food they eat travel from the field to the plate. Every year when deer season comes around I get to be a part of this lifestyle.
When I was younger, I didn't fully appreciate the aspects of hunting. To me it was a lost weekend I spent hanging out a bunch of old boring men to sit my ass in a tree for 8 hours a day in the wind, snow, ice and cold climate of Wisconsin in late November. The minor amount of alcohol my dad allowed me to drink was the highlight...how juvenile.
I realize now that hunting is much more than that...and much more than just shooting animals. Hunting brings together old friends who share a common interest and understanding of wildlife, nature, food and the animals that are a part it. Now, my favorite part of hunting is sitting in a tree stand for 8 hours...I don't even need to fire 1 bullet. The silence and the breaks of silence filled by the songs of birds and rustling of small animals gives me chills every time...more so than the weather.
One weekend while we were turkey hunting, 3 deer materialized out of the forest and were grazing peacefully. They made a hard turn and headed straight for me! I sat motionless and watched as they walked within 10yards of me when the finally saw my turkey decoy. The large buck reared up when he saw the decoy and started snorting. He continued to snort as the grazed around my stand for a good 10 min. After they got a good afternoon snack in, they walked back into the forest.
Soon after, I received a phone call from the land owner. He said that he just found out it was an early deer season and no one was wearing blaze orange! We all slugged are way back to the ranch with our turkey guns and heads hung low, embarrassed that no one caught this one. I drove into town, bought a deer license and went back to the ranch for a night full of bourbon, venison and poker.
I awoke at 5AM the next morning, determined to get a deer...I knew they were out there. Shooting time was around 6:30...and by 6:45 I saw a group of deer crossing the field. Lets just say we ate good that night. The backstraps (tenderloin) is the only part of the deer that is easily accessible without butchering. In my opinion, they also happen to be the finest cut of meat you can find.
The next day was butchering day. Sure its bloody and messy, but this is how meat was obtained in the old days. This is how food was put on the dinner table before you could buy deli meats and frozen chicken breast from Dominick's. When you hunt, you see your meal from field to plate.
From the camaraderie to experiencing nature, hunting is truly a unique experience. Anyone who enjoys a good cut of meat should try it sometime so they can witness this cycle and respect the animals which are a part of it.
Happy Grilling!
-Nightmare From the North
No comments:
Post a Comment